Vegan Cupboard Essentials Curry
A great option when going to the shops isn’t an option – the couch may be too appealing! This vegan curry is made with mostly store cupboard or frozen ingredients, this is a delicious curry that is perfect for batch cooking. Plus all of the spices, garlic, onions and pulses are going to be fantastic sources of nutrients, provide anti-inflammatory flavours and give your friendly gut bacteria some prebiotic fibre to feast on!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions – chopped (can be from frozen)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (can be from frozen)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp turmeric
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 x 400g chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g chickpeas – rinsed
- 400ml coconut milk
- Squeeze of lime/lemon
- Coriander – fresh
- In a deep pan, heat the olive oil and add the sliced onions. Cook until softened, around 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped garlic and all the spices, and stir to combine. Cook for 3 mins, continually stirring so nothing burns, then pour in the can of tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next, add in the coconut milk and season with salt. Bring to the boil for 5 minutes and then lower the temperature. Add in the chickpeas and simmer for 20 mins until the sauce has thickened.Stir every few minutes to avoid burning.
- Serve in a deep bowl on a bed of brown rice and scatter over chopped coriander and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Can be served with quinoa, cauliflower rice, salad, in a wrap or with some yogurt.