Vegan Chickpea Smash Sandwich
Packed with plant protein, fibre and flavour, you can also make this mix and have it with salad or thrown into a stew/soup or in a sandwich. Sandwiches are often demonised as high carb options, but opting for rye gives you a heap of fibre and can keep you energised and full. This recipe is dairy free, and suitable for both Vegetarians and Vegans.
- n a large bowl, add the drained chickpeas and smash with a fork or masher – it should be the consistency of lumpy hummus.
- Mix in the chopped red onion, capers, mustard, yoghurt, black pepper, salt and a sprinkle of paprika. And there you have your chickpea smash.
- Prepare the sandwich – toast some rye/pumpernickel bread and layer with some chopped cabbage, rocket, tomatoes (or any veg you have lying around) and lather on the chickpea smash.
- Enjoy as an open faced sandwich or double top with two slices.
- 1 x can of rinsed chickpeas – BPA free ideally
- 1/4 of a chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp of capers
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp of yoghurt (plant based if dairy free/vegan)
- Black pepper
- Sea Salt
- Ground Paprika
- Rye/Pumpernickel bread
- Chopped cabbage, salad, tomatoes etc