The Perfect 3PM Cookie
The perfect snack these cookies are lightly sweetened with natural sugars and paired with satiating fats from the almonds. Pairing sugars with fat/and or protein can help slow down the release of sugars, providing you with a slower, consistent release of energy and deliciousness rather than a peak in hyper energy and a crash (which leads to further cravings for energy rich foods such as cookies and sweets).
Whether you are looking for a recipe to whip up for your kids after school treats or wanting something to hit those afternoon sweet cravings, these cookies are the one.
- 1 chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water and let sit for 10 minutes until a gel forms) You can use 1 normal egg instead as a sub.
- 40g ground almonds
- 20g jumbo oats
- 50g date sugar (can use rapdura, coconut, brown etc)
- 120g almond butter
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 40g dark choc chips – 70% plus
- Preheat your oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper
- Mix the jumbo oats, ground almonds, sea salt, baking powder and date sugar in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the almond butter, vanilla, and chia egg and stir until you form a consistent dough. If the mixture is too dry, add a splash of milk, but don’t over do it as you will get a soggy mixture. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well.
- Take the mixture and roll small dough sized balls (using spoons or your hands) and place on the lined baking tray to go into the oven. Top with a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Bake for 12 mins and let fully cool before chomping!
- They can last up to one week in the fridge or batch cook and freeze!