Healthy Gingerbread Cookie Recipe – Dairy Free and Lower in Sugar
Who doesn’t love a gingerbread cookie- their spice, the sweet molasses flavour, their SMILES, and their cute charm are obviously irresistible. These are a great healthy alternative, using coconut sugar and dark chocolate chips as more nutrient dense alternatives to make them just as delicious.
- 1 large egg
- 200 grams whole wheat flour
- 5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 40ml melted coconut oil
- 70ml molasses syrup
- 50g coconut sugar
- 50g dark chocolate
- Icing sugar if desired
- Firstly we need to make the dough.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together the molasses with the melted coconut oil. Once mixed add in the coconut sugar and mix again. Finally mix in the egg.
- Pour the dry mix into the liquid and stir well until a dough like consistency forms
- Separate the dough into two discs and cover in wrap and pop in the freezer for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 180c and line baking tray
- Take cold dough out of freezer. Lightly flour your work surface and place one of the discs out. Roll until 1/5/2cm thick. Taking your cookie cutter, cut as many cookies as you can. Place the cookies on the baking tray. Repeat with the second dough.
- Pop in the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Take out and let cool fully before decorating.
- To decorate with chocolate, melt the dark chocolate and either dunk the gingerbread men in the mixture or using a fork or knife decorate with patterns. Pop in the fridge for 15 minutes to let the chocolate harden before enjoying.